Volunteer Firefighter 2020
|Open Date||Nov 11 2020 - 09:00:00 AM||Close Date||Nov 26 2020 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Volunteer Firefighter 2020||Posting Type||Non-Union|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Volunteer Firefighter|
|Department Group||Hours per Week|
|Department||Fire & Emergency Services||Openings||18|
|Location||Various Fire Stations|
This role is responsible for responding to fire, medical, rescue, and hazardous materials emergencies.
- Respond to suppression and emergency call-outs in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures, and in circumstances of extreme weather and temperature conditions
- Enter burning or contaminated buildings, structures and other areas safely in response to emergencies; wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) and respiratory protection
- Drive and operate fire services equipment and vehicles
- Operate various cutting tools, power saws, exhaust fans, hose streams etc. in order to create ventilation systems at fire and emergency sites
- Provide emergency medical care to the sick and injured at emergency scenes
- Maintain control of fire hose and direct stream while fighting fire; responsible for laying, pulling and connecting hose lines
- Attend regular training sessions to ensure awareness of safety and emergency procedures; and maintenance of necessary fire equipment
- Participate in promotional and community events as ambassadors of the Fire & Emergency Services Department
- Operate fire pumps
- Operate elevating devices
- Carry and climb ground ladders
- Clean equipment, apparatus and facilities as required and/or as scheduled
The Ideal Candidate
- Successful completion of the Town Volunteer Firefighter aptitude test
- Successful completion of the required fitness test
- Preference will be given to candidates that live within 5 km.
- Possess and maintain the physical strength and agility necessary to perform arduous work, and operate fire and safety equipment under adverse conditions for long periods of time
- A clean vulnerable sector certificate
- Valid driver’s license in good standing and daily access to a vehicle; D or DZ license considered an asset. Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide a driver's abstract to the interview panel and at their own expense, displaying no more than 3 demerit points.
- Previous emergency services experience would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills; ability to make critical decisions quickly
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Highly motivated, dependable and available to attend on an on-call basis
Successful candidates will be required to complete the following training & development curriculum:
- Town of Caledon VFF orientation/HR training including WHMIS, AODA, Bill 168, etc.
- Complete National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Firefighter Level I and II Certification
- AED/Defibrillator Training
- EMR for Volunteer Firefighters
- ‘DZ’ Licensing upgrade (conducted by Town)
- NFPA Pump Operations (within three years of volunteering)
Please note: Caledon Volunteer Firefighters are remunerated for public education, training, responses and duty crews.
The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact Human Resources at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.