Reporting directly to the Recreation Coordinator this role is responsible for ensuring camp participants have a positive experience and working in accordance with the Town of Caledon guidelines, practices and procedures on Recreational Programs and Customer Service Standards.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure fun, safe and healthy camp experience for the children in your care by implementing program plans as defined by Camp Coordinators, and modify if necessary
- Supervise and be accountable for camp participants; ensure knowledge of participants’ whereabouts at all times
- Provide appropriate, challenging and fun camp activities for participants of all ages and abilities
- Perform daily administrative tasks (i.e. camp attendance, camp preparation, and complete Injury and Incident Reports as needed)
- Exhibit positive and professional behaviours with all participants, parents and co-workers
- Comply with all Town of Caledon policies and procedures
- Participate in all staff training and meetings
- Be responsible to work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, the Town of Caledon Occupational Health, Safety and Workplace Violence Policy and Procedures, as well as established industry guidelines
- Perform additional duties and undertake special projects as assigned
Additional Duties for Inclusion Counselor:
- Modify program plans if necessary based on the needs of individual participants in your care in accordance with requests and guidelines outlined in the participant profile; with assistance from the Inclusion Coordinator/Director
- Provide one-to-one support to participants with a disability/special need, including monitoring and assisting with the tasks of personal care such as; changing, toileting and feeding as required (always in the presence of another Town of Caledon staff member)
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Current certification inStandard First Aid with CPR Level C
- Certification in HIGH FIVE ® Principles of Healthy Child Development is an asset
- Demonstrated customer service excellence that reflects Caledon’s quality standards: accurate, courteous, responsive and easy to navigate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to
- Organizational skills with and ability to meet deadlines
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions involving
- Demonstrated ability to exercise significant discretion and sensitivity involving
- Satisfactory passing of a criminal record check or vulnerable sector check
- Experience working in a camp environment or with children would be an asset but not necessary; must work well with children and maintain professional relationships with parents/guardians
- Completion of a Leader in Training and/or Counselor in Training course is an asset
Additional Qualification for Inclusion Counselor:
- Bahaviour Management Systems Training
- Specialized training or direct work experience with children with a disability/special need.
Satisfactory passing of a vulnerable sector check, and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.
The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact Human Resources at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.