|Open Date||Nov 20 2020 - 02:00:00 PM||Close Date||Dec 06 2020 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Plans Examiner||Posting Type||Non-Union|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent Full-time|
|Department Group||Building||Hours per Week||35|
|Department||Building & Municipal Law Enforcement Services||Openings||1|
|Education||College Diploma||Experience||3 years|
|Salary Range||$70,322.24 - $83,161|
Reporting directly to the Supervisor, Plans Examination/Deputy CBO, this role is responsible for for performing technical review, analysis and approval of all plans, specifications, and other documents submitted for building permit approval. You will ensure proposals are carried out in accordance with the requirements of the Building Code Act (BCA), the Ontario Building Code (OBC), referenced standards, Town By-laws, and other applicable laws. You will be responsible for verifying that structural, accessibility, health and life safety requirements for buildings are reviewed. As a Plans Examiner, you will perform the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Conduct architectural, structural, and/or septic reviews, as applicable. Plumbing and/or mechanical reviews, as assigned for Part 9, while adhering to mandated timeframes in accordance with the BCA and OBC.
- Assist clients at the service counter and over the phone with inquiries concerning the Ontario Building Code
- Provide interpretation of the BCA, OBC and referenced standards to the general public, designers, contractors, architects, professional engineers, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Where necessary, consider alternative solution proposals, having reasonable regard for the intent of the Building Code requirement, established policy, standard practices, professional experience and documented peer consensus
- Attend sites with a Building Inspector and/or Senior Plans Examiner to resolve construction problems when applicable
COVID-19: In consideration of the current pandemic and Public Health orders, the Town of Caledon is providing limited in-person services as Town Hall is open to the public by appointment only. The successful candidate for Plans Examiner will be required to work a flexible schedule, including in the office, remotely and after hours (as required).
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an enthusiastic professional with training and knowledge in the above, normally acquired from a in Architectural Technology, or closely related field. Our ideal candidate has minimum 3 years related experience in the construction industry, or conducting inspections, and meets the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) qualifications in: General Legal/Process, Small Buildings, On Site Sewage System, HVAC – House and Building Structural. We are seeking an individual with membership or eligibility for membership with the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA) as a Certified Building Code Official (CBCO). Certifications through OACET, PEO, AATO, and/or OAA are considered an asset.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of sound construction practices and design, as well as comprehensive understanding of the Ontario Building Code and Ontario Building Act. We are seeking an individual with superior verbal and written communication skills, a demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment, and computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Knowledge of AMANDA, Auto-CAD and Arc Explorer would be an asset
This position offers a salary range of $70,322.24 - $83,161.64 plus a competitive benefit package.
Notwithstanding the above, candidates who do not fulfill all of our requirements may be considered in a Development Status capacity. Satisfactory passing of a criminal record check, and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.
The Town is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact Human Resources at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.